Sunday, January 29, 2006

To be closer to God

Today was a good day thus far. I asked my friend Josh the other day if he could take me over to Thomas Road this Sunday. I was so glad he was able to do it. We went to Sunday school first. This was also known as H.J.'s group. I didn't really get to meet H.J but he's a pretty cool person and so on fire for God. I got to meet a few people just before school started. I met a girl named Kim who had a boyfriend named Tim. Sounds like they're made for each other. Their names have a nice ring to it. lol Well, the service started with some praise and worship songs. We sang songs I haven't heard in a long time. One was called "Sweep Me Away". I really got into worshipping God with that one. Later in the service, I got to know about a girl named Laura Jahnks who has been attacked with the horrible disease called cancer. I heard about how God is using her and it just touched my heart. They were taking up an offering for her. I decided to give $20 because I just had such a heart for her and I felt that it would help her a lot. I prayed over the offering with much sincerity and then gave it. I felt so good inside. It was like this wonderfully warm feeling enraptured me.

Well, we got into the message after that. The title was called "Life Lessons for Zombies". I thought that was kind of a strange name at first but then I listened to the message. We went over Matthew 5 in our study and the Word just came to life as I read along with the group. Verse 4 said: "Blessed are those who mourn: for they shall be comforted." The point of that was this: we weep when we know what imperfections we have and what sins we have committed. It shows God that we are willing to change and turn from our wicked ways to follow after Him. Verse 6 said this: "Blessed are they which hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." I got so much out of that verse. You know how we are so after food and drink? Like we just gotta have it or we'll die. "Oh! I'm starving! Let's go grab some lunch." "What sounds good to you?" Even when we're doing things like working out... "Boy am I thirsty! Let me at that drinking fountain!" We have to be the same way when it comes to spending time with God and getting to know Him. We have to be rushing to get into His Word and drink the Living Water. That message made me realize something very important: I really need to get closer to God. I wrote this in one of my blog entries before but it really relates to what I'm talking about today. Matthew 6:33 says: "But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things will be added unto you." We have to have that drive or force of energy to seek after God. That's what I discovered today. I have such a desire to be with Him now, at this very moment. I know He's always here with me wherever I go but I don't always realize it. Well, I think I'm all out of things to say so I'll be signing off for now. Be blessed one and all.:o)

No comments: